Conference Bursary Competition for ACS 2020
ACS2020 will be postponed to 18-21 June 2021
Update information will be announced when it’s ready.
Supported by the Yokoyama Foundation for Young Asian Criminologists
We are pleased to announce a conference bursary competition for the 2020 Asian Criminological Society Conference. The availability of this new bursary competition is thanks to the generosity of Minoru Yokoyama (Professor Emeritus, Kokugakuin University).
The purpose of this competition is to promote mutual understanding and friendship among the young generation of criminologists and to foster future global leaders in the field of criminology in Asia.
The application guidelines are below.
Thursday, April 30, 2020 ->> Monday, June 15, 2020
Please note that late submissions will NOT be accepted.
Additionally, submissions that do not meet the criteria contained in the following guidelines will be rejected.
|Title:||Conference Bursary Competition for ACS 2020
Supported by Yokoyama Foundation for Young Asian Criminologists
|Outline:||The Asian Criminological Society is recruiting young researchers to present research on themes such as criminal investigation, theory, and education at the 12th Annual Conference of the Asian Criminological Society held in Kyoto (Japan) in October 2020. The subject of the research should utilize a theoretical or conceptual framework and engage with empirical work (inclusive of all methodologies such as qualitative, quantitative, and interpretive approaches etc.).
Up to TWO applicants will be selected and USD 1,000 per person will be subsidized to participate in the 2020 Asian Criminological Society Conference. In addition, the conference registration fee will be waived.
|Eligibility:||1. A researcher who is registered on a doctoral program or who is within eight years of obtaining a doctorate, as of April 1, 2020. Proof of this status should be submitted at the time of applying, and may include: a copy of a Ph.D. certificate; a copy of records of enrolment on a Ph.D. program; or a signed letter by a Ph.D. supervisor or Department Head on paper containing the applicant's institution's header.
2. Be a registered member of the Asian Criminological Society by the application deadline (April 30, 2020 ->> June 15, 2020).
3. The research content has not previously been presented at other academic societies or published in an academic journal.
4. If successful, participate in the 2020 Asian Criminological Society Conference and give an oral presentation. (In the case of joint research, applicants should still present a paper individually)
5. A researcher who is residing in an eligible country* in the Asia-Oceania region. Eligible countries are as follows:
Afghanistan / American Samoa / Bangladesh / Bhutan / Cambodia / Fiji / India / Indonesia / Kazakhstan / Kiribati / Korea, Dem. People's Rep. / Kyrgyz Republic / Lao PDR / Malaysia / Maldives / Marshall Islands / Micronesia, Fed. Sts. / Mongolia / Myanmar / Nauru / Nepal / Pakistan / Papua New Guinea / Philippines / Samoa / Solomon Islands / Sri Lanka / Tajikistan / Thailand / Timor-Leste / Tonga / Turkmenistan / Tuvalu / Uzbekistan / Vanuatu / Vietnam
* In principle, eligible countries are those in the Asia-Oceania region that have been determined by the World Bank as "LOW-INCOME ECONOMIES" , "LOWER-MIDDLE INCOME ECONOMIES" and "UPPER-MIDDLE-INCOME ECONOMIES". If you wish to apply as a researcher from another country in the region, please contact the Conference Secretariat.
>>Reference:：World Bank Country and Lending Groups (THE WORLD BANK)
– USD1,000 per winner will be provided* to facilitate participation in the conference.
* The financial bursary will be given in cash at the closing ceremony of the ACS 2020 conference on October 5th.
– The conference registration fee will also be waived for the winners.
– An honorary certificate will be presented to the winners.
|Application period:||January 30, 2020 to April 30, 2020 ->> June 15
* Announcement of results: May 20, 2020 ->> July, 2020 or later (TBA in mid-June)
|Schedule:||(1) Call for competition applicants: January 30, 2020
The submitted applications will be arranged in the order of reception and confirmed by the ACS 2020 Operation Secretariat.
(2) Competition deadline: April 30, 2020 ->> June 15, 2020
* Please note that the deadline may be earlier depending on the status of applications.
(3) Disclosure of successful applications: May 20, 2020 ->> July, 2020 or later (TBA in mid-June)
Judging will be handled by the ACS2020 Academic Committee.
The applicant will be notified of the decision by email. Winning applicants will have their name and research paper title published on the official ACS 2020 website.
(4) Oral presentation at the 2020 Asian Criminological Society Conference: October 3 or October 4
During the 2020 Asian Criminological Society Conference, in one of the parallel sessions, the winner will give an oral presentation.
(5) Awarding of certificate and financial bursary to winners: October 5, 2020
The financial bursary and honorary certificate will be presented at the closing ceremony of the ACS 2020 conference on October 5th.
|Selection of the winners:||The members of the ACS 2020 Academic Committee will review the content of applications. Successful applicants will be determined after reviewing the abstracts of applicants who meet the eligibility criteria.|
Outline of Yokoyama Foundation
Name: Yokoyama Foundation for Young Asian Criminologists
Founder: Minoru Yokoyama (Professor Emeritus of Kokugakuin University)
Date of establishment: October 20, 2019
The aim of the Foundation: The aim of the Foundation is to promote mutual understanding and friendship among young Asian criminologists, and to encourage them to become future leaders in criminology, especially Asian criminology.
Message from the Founder:
I have attended the annual conference of the Asian Criminological Society every year since its foundation in 2009. I have witnessed the development of criminology in Asian countries. However, I find that there are able young criminologists in developing Asian countries who cannot attend the ACS annual conference owing to financial limitations. I hope some of them have a chance under this competition to attend the ACS conference in order to present their paper and to gain mutual understanding among Asian criminologists.
The Application Form Download
Please download the application form in your preferred format.
Word format（.docx） | PDF format（.pdf）
We are now closing the application at the moment. We will re-start when it’s ready.
Subject: Conference Bursary Competition for ACS 2020