Information for Participants
We have been made aware that those who registered with a Gmail account may not have received login information for the online conference. Please check your ‘junk mail’ folder as it may have been inadvertently placed there. If you still cannot find the email (dated 15th June), please get in contact with the Conference Management Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Announcement regarding the 12th Annual Asian Criminological Society Conference
We are deeply moved by the commitment of our criminological colleagues from Asia and across the world to come together and share expertise at this year’s ACS Conference despite it being one of the most challenging climates for international dialogue in recent times.
With vaccine programs across the world being steadily being rolled-out, some of you may be fortunate enough to have already received a vaccination. However, the viability of travelling to Japan in June remains deeply uncertain. As such, it was necessary to make a decision about how to proceed – not least in respect of providing clarity to participants – but also to enable us to efficiently organize and host the Conference.
Although we have endeavored our utmost to be able to welcome some of you to Kyoto, based on the current situation the Local Organizing Committee has determined that it will not be feasible to proceed with the in-person elements that were planned for the Conference. Consequently, the 12th Annual Asian Criminological Society Conference will be held online-only.
In accordance with this adjustment, we would like to notify you about this online format. The Conference will contain both live-streamed sessions as well as on-demand sessions. More details about these are explained below:
Throughout the entirety of the Conference, there will be live-streamed sessions available to view and participate in. In other words, at any given point in the Conference Schedule, there will be a live-streamed session available to participate in.
This includes all Keynote Speeches and Plenary Sessions. Moreover, these will be further supplemented with a series of Roundtable Events and a selection of Pre-arranged Thematic Panel Sessions. These events will be based around the main conference theme of “Tradition and Innovation in Criminology” as well as engage with the theme of COVID-19 and punishment. The Representative of selected Panel Sessions will be notified separately in due course.
In addition to the live-streamed sessions, there will be an on-demand service for Individual Paper Presentations and Pre-arranged Thematic Panel Sessions.
• For Individual Paper Presentations, each presenter will be required to record their own presentation (15mins).
• For Pre-arranged Thematic Panel Sessions, the Representative of the Panel Session will be required to organize an online meeting (via Google Meet, Zoom etc.) and record the whole session (90mins).
Recordings can be uploaded to the online platform from May 15 to June 11. More details concerning the procedures for submitting recordings will be sent in due course.
Recordings of Individual Paper Presentations and Pre-arranged Thematic Panel Sessions will be made available to participants from the opening of the Conference to June 30. During this period, you will be able to view any of the recordings at your own leisure. Moreover, through the interactive comment function, viewers and presenters will be able to share comments as well as pose and respond to questions.
We appreciate that this ‘on-demand’ style differs in some core respects from both traditional ‘offline’ conferences as well as online events and conferences which are entirely live-streamed. Nevertheless, we believe that this format provides numerous advantages to these alternative styles:
(1) Minimization of disruptions to presentations caused by technological issues.
(2) The ability to view any presentation or panel that is of interest which might otherwise be missed due to multiple live sessions being held at the same time.
(3) The ability to submit a recording which represents the presenter’s best attempt, rather than having to rely on the performance at a given time and dealing with the accompanying pressures of presenting live.
(4) The comment function provides an equitable way in which to engage in dialogue, providing opportunities to those who would otherwise not ask a question in-person in front of others. Moreover, it allows time to consider and formulate comments and replies that is not possible in real-time presentation settings.
In taking the decision to host a major international conference online, it is necessary to strike a balance between dealing with logistical issues alongside the need to ensure that conference participation is a fruitful and rewarding experience for all. We believe that this innovative combination of live-streamed and on-demand sessions provides a way for participants to actively engage and get the most out of the Conference.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you in advance for your co-operation and we are looking forward to your participation.
How to join the 12th ACS Annual Conference starting from Jun 18
The 12th Annual Conference of the Asian Criminological Society (ACS2020) is coming close: 18-21 June 2021 (On-demand: 18-30 Jun).
We would like to inform you today about how to join the online conference by sharing some manuals.
All the sessions in ACS2020 will be available to participate and view from June 18, 2021, from the link button which will appear when it is closer to the date at: https://acs2020.org/
Login ID and PW for the online meeting site will be sent to all registered participants around June 15.
Please check the manuals which refer to your participation roles, as below.
(1) All the participants (viewers): Manual No. 1 and 2.
(2) Presenters and chairs of Pre-arranged Theme Sessions (Live), Individual Presentations (notified live presenters only) and Round Table: Manual No. 1, 2 and 3.
(3) Presenters and chairs of Keynote Speeches & Plenary Sessions: Manual No. 1, 2 and 4.
1. Manual_for_participants_General [PDF]
2. Manual_for_participants_Zoom.pdf [PDF]
3. Manual_for_presenters_ZoomMeeting (Pre-arranged Theme Sessions (TS-01~05), Individual Presentations (Live 1&2 only), & Round Table) [PDF]
4. Manual_for_presenters_ZoomWebinar (Keynote Speeches & Plenary Sessions) [PDF]
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Thank you in advance for your preparation and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the conference.
-File Type: MP4 file within 15 minutes length
-The Maximum File Size: 500MB
-Recording Method: Any recording method (Power Point Presentation, Zoom recording, etc.) will do.
-File name: Please name the file “< Program number >_< Your name >”.
-Submission Platform: https://confit-vas.atlas.jp/acs2020/video/login
*Please login with your "Presentation Number" and "Email Address" indicated above.
*You cannot change your "Presentation Number" and "Email Address" by yourself.
-Period for submission: from May 15 to June 11, 2021 (JST).
For the instruction of file upload, please refer to the user manual: https://acs2020.org/dl/How_to_upload_videofiles.pdf
The online platform for the file upload will be available from May 15 to June 11. Please make sure that you complete the submission by the deadline.
[Instruction of Recording]
-The chair of each panel session will set, moderate, and record the online meeting of 90mins.
-Any recording method (Zoom/Google Meet/Microsoft Teams, etc.) will do.
-Just like usual on-site conferences, each speaker should follow the instructions of the chair and give a presentation with their slides shared on the screen. Each presentation should be around 15mins.
-It is requested to the chairs to set up and facilitate Q&A session after all speakers are finished with their presentations. If there is still time left after the Q&A, please make some comments and make it to approximately 90mins.
- All participants should show their face (Camera-ON) throughout the recording.
-Type of files should be MP4.
-The maximum file size is 1GB.
-Please name the file “< Program number >_< Your name >”.
-Please upload the recorded files to our Dropbox.
-Period for submission: from May 15 to June 11, 2021 (JST).
Please note that all speakers as well as the chair in the session are requested to complete registration.
We need to confirm registration from all the speakers to keep your session remained on our program list.
Thank you for your kind cooperation, and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.